Monday, May 12, 2008

Longest Bike Ride EVER!!!!

On Saturday I did the Armadillo Classic in Liberty Hill. As part of my IM training, I did the 105 mile option. I was very nervous about this, but it helped that I did the Austin to Shiner ride the week before.

There were a lot of people doing this ride and it seemed like I would have plenty of company on the 100+ mile ride. Yvonne did the 61 mile option so it was great having her for my first 30. We talked and skipped the first two rest stops. They seemed to have come really close together...which is great, but no need to stop yet. I had to get to the 30 mile closing gate by 10:30. I didn't think it was going to be a problem, but it's fun to add some pressure. When it came time to split off from Yvonne, I felt like a nervous kindergartner going off into the unknown!! Luckily,I felt great at that point and ready to face this challenge.

The next section was still pretty popular so I wasn't alone and I was certain that Cathy and Leah were behind me somewhere because I had passed them earlier and I hadn't seen them pass me. I also know that Erin and Jeannie were ahead of me...maybe not too far...unlike Robin who was surely way ahead by now since I hadn't seen her at any of the stops. Anyway, I like being somewhere in the middle of my friends because it feels safe. I got to the next rest stop and it was the turn around for the 80 mile option. I wasn't planning on stopping here, but I was unsure of which direction to go and everyone seemed to be turning around...now I felt alone. Hmmmm, maybe I should consider doing 80 miles?? Tim, a guy I had just been introduced to by Yvonne had a map and told me which way to go and mentioned that it would be very scenic. It was beautiful, but lonelier and hotter too!!! I stopped at the next rest stop and took more time at this one. I took a potty break and ate some delicious home made oatmeal cookies with some very cold Gatorade...very nice stop. I was also hoping that I would see Cathy and Leah riding up?? I would have loved the company. I still felt great at this point, but I was nervous about what was to come?? Before I knew it I was back at the next rest stop which was familiar and that was a fabulous feeling. I felt great and so happy that I was at mile 70 and heading home...wahoo...the light at the end of the tunnel.

It was very hot at this point and the course was a lot hillier. I was catching some folks, talking for a while and most of the time....I "had to put the hammer down!!" I was on some crazy high and felt like a kid on the bike. I was surprised to be feeling so wonderful. I was so thankful for my training, my coach, and happy to be one step closer to my IM dream. I was thinking about how glad I was that I waited to do THIS distance on THIS day. I had been tempted to do a 100 miler before this, but for me, they probably would have been empty miles. This ride already felt so productive and I was in control!! I wanted to do a happy dance when my Cateye read 100.00 miles. Happy because I had completed the distance, but even happier to feel so strong mentally and physically. I wanted to call my coach and tell her or shout "I'm finishing strong" and I can't believe it!!!! One more rest stop came along and I just waved on through it. My Cateye already said 105. 7 and they said "just one more mile"....okay...whatever. I rode for a total of 106.8 miles. I ran for about 15 minutes after that and it didn't feel bad at all. Without the heat, I think I could have ran my marathon:)!!!

In my first grader's words (and spelling)..."it was osm!!!"

Next day was Mother's Day and I had a two hour run on my schedule. Met Robin at Brushy Creek (she had an hour on her schedule) so one hour with good company and the next with my music. I felt a little beat up at first, but quickly I started to feel okay. It was a nice run. At the end of my run, I felt a little lump in my throat...getting closer to becoming an Ironman. Not sure what's happening, but some workouts have been making me feel a little emotional??

I got home and my wonderful family had some special treats and surprises for me....got a little emotional...again. I was able to combine a short recovery swim with some quality family time. For dinner, we had my mom, sisters, and sister's family over for dinner. My husband cooked for us and cleaned up too:)!!!

Very nice weekend!!

No comments: